8 sweet red apples skin on
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 – 2 tablespoon organic maple syrup
3 scoops of Gutright
Spelt + Oatmeal Shortcrust:
300 g wholemeal spelt flour
200 g unsalted cold butter – cut into small dice
1 little splash of cold water to mix
1/2 – 1 cup rolled oats for rolling
Extra apple slices for topping
Prepare the apple filling.
- Quarter the apples and remove the core.
- Cut each quarter in half and place into a large pot.
- Add the water, vanilla, and cinnamon & maple syrup.
- Place onto the stove over a medium heat.
- Cook, stirring every now and again until the apples start to soften and collapse. This should take about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mash
Make the spelt and oatmeal shortcrust.
- Combine the spelt flour and butter into a food processor.
- Pulse lightly until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add a little cold water to combine into a dough.
- Coat the dough in rolled oats and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll 2/3 of the chilled pastry between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper to your mini pie dishes
- Line the pie dish evenly and fill in any gaps in the pastry as needed.
- Spoon in the apple filling.
- Optional – Add extra thin slices of apple on top in the shape of a rose
- Paint the tops of the apple with honey
- Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 45 minutes or until golden.