Recipe by Laura Saunders www.alifeworthnourishing.com
Makes 12 muffins (each muffin contains 1 serve of gut right + 1 extra serve with the icing)
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds/300g, ground into a fine powder
- ¾ cup raw organic cacao powder sifted
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt/coconut cream
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup gut right (or 12 scoops)
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- 1 heaped tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp gluten-free bicarb soda
- 1 heaped tsp organic ground ginger
- 1 heaped tsp organic ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 cups steamed jap pumpkin
- ¼ cup of filtered water
- ¼ cup organic unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup organic unrefined coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup local raw honey
- 2 oranges, zested
1/2 cup hulled tahini
- ⅓ cup Gut Right (or 12 scoops) – optional for a double serve!
- 1/4 cup raw organic cacao powder
- ¼ cup filtered water (room temperature)
- Juice 1 orange
- 2 tbsp local raw honey
- 1 tbsp unrefined organic coconut oil, melted
- 2 heaped tbsp cacao nibs (to garnish)
Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced and line a 12 holder muffin tin with baking paper or muffin cups.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs then adding the remaining wet ingredients using a wooden spoon to combine..
- Once combined, carefully add the dry ingredients and gently fold them into the wet mixture with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture into your prepared muffin cups and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once cooked, cool the muffin pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes with a clean tea towel over the top. While you are waiting for the muffins to cool you can begin to prepare the icing.
- To make the icing simply add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender. Blend for 15 – 30 seconds, or until combined.
- Now take the muffins out of the muffin tray and place them on a cooling rack for another 10 minutes, again with the clean tea towel on top. Once cooled, simply place 1 tsp of icing on top of each muffin, using a butter knife to smooth over. Garnish with sprinkle with remaining cacao nibs over the top.
These muffins are best stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze them for up to several months in BPA free zip lock bags.