Working Night Shift and Sleep Deprivation are areas of health that aren’t talked about enough, approximately 15 million Americans and 1.5 million Australians work some form of shift work in their career. In today’s episode of the ATP Project, the team discuss the effects of shift work, sleep loss/deprivation, and inadequate recovery times on the body, what you can do to help if you are someone who does shiftwork, and how to plan your day accordingly to shift your rhythm to a more consistent schedule.
As always, this information is not designed to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any condition and is for information purposes only – please discuss any information in this podcast with your health care professional before making any changes to your current lifestyle.
- Richter K, Acker J, Adam S, Niklewski G. Prevention of fatigue and insomnia in shift workers-a review of non-pharmacological measures. EPMA J. 2016 Aug 2;7(1):16. doi: 10.1186/s13167-016-0064-4. PMID: 27486484; PMCID: PMC4970219.
- Torquati L, Mielke GI, Brown WJ, Kolbe-Alexander T. Shift work and the risk of cardiovascular disease. A systematic review and meta-analysis including dose-response relationship. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2018 May 1;44(3):229-238. doi: 10.5271/sjweh.3700. Epub 2017 Dec 16. PMID: 29247501.
- (2020) Association between shift work and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of observational studies, Chronobiology International, 37:1, 29-46,
- Kim JB, Kim JH. Regional gray matter changes in shift workers: a voxel-based morphometry study. Sleep Med. 2017 Feb;30:185-188. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2016.10.013. Epub 2016 Nov 18. PMID: 28215246.
- Crabtree DPE, Herrera BJ, Kang S. The response of human bacteria to static magnetic field and radiofrequency electromagnetic field. J Microbiol. 2017 Oct;55(10):809-815. doi: 10.1007/s12275-017-7208-7. Epub 2017 Sep 28. PMID: 28956351.
- Whisner CM, Maldonado J, Dente B, Krajmalnik-Brown R, Bruening M. Diet, physical activity and screen time but not body mass index are associated with the gut microbiome of a diverse cohort of college students living in university housing: a cross-sectional study. BMC Microbiol. 2018 Dec 12;18(1):210. doi: 10.1186/s12866-018-1362-x. PMID: 30541450; PMCID: PMC6291939.
- Mortaş H, Bilici S, Karakan T. The circadian disruption of night work alters gut microbiota consistent with elevated risk for future metabolic and gastrointestinal pathology. Chronobiol Int. 2020 Jul;37(7):1067-1081. doi: 10.1080/07420528.2020.1778717. Epub 2020 Jun 30. PMID: 32602753.
- Leso V, Caturano A, Vetrani I, Iavicoli I. Shift or night shift work and dementia risk: a systematic review. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2021 Jan;25(1):222-232. doi: 10.26355/eurrev_202101_24388. PMID: 33506911.
- , 2019:
10. Rosa D, Terzoni S, Dellafiore F, Destrebecq A. Systematic review of shift work and nurses’ health. Occup Med (Lond). 2019 Jun 24;69(4):237-243. doi: 10.1093/occmed/kqz063. PMID: 31132107.