JOLT and Noway – What’s the Difference?
A peptide is simply a compound with two or more amino acids linked in a chain.
Let’s start with what a ‘Peptide’ is
If we are looking at protein for example – protein is a formation built from singular specific amino acids in a sequential pattern. If we are looking at collagen as a protein, per se the main amino acids that makeup collagen protein are:
These form the flexible, triple helix-like structure of the collagen protein strand that we have given identity to.
When you are looking at a protein peptide, you are looking at a break in the protein chain that then acts as a key for a specific function from that protein instead. Along the chain are almost like this coding, when we want the peptide to deliver a particular instruction or message, we cleave the strand at the specific point that the tail ends make for an action intent particular to the tail ends of where it is cleaved. Peptides can carry messages in the body, such as growth or repair signals.
Of course, there is far more to it than just this, but that’s the essence of it.
Throughout the hydrolysis process, collagen is extracted, at measured temp levels, and the team at Gelita in Germany spends all of their time with nothing but collagen, just as an insight. They are the elite nerds when it comes to collagen; so, when observing collagen as just a protein, it's a great source, and the body can break down the protein through digestion and free up the aminos to go towards different protein-dependent structures in the body. Allocate them when and where needed, however, with this form there is no way to ensure that these are going to the area you are after specifically that may have collagen structures that need attention such as:
Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides begin to make a lot more sense!
You get the picture, and our body is made up of approximately 30% collagen matrix structures , it needs a lot of these amino acids to help sustain this % of total body protein.
Targeting these areas that may be getting less attention than other regions can be tricky until you work out what specific key is required for the lock… herein lies the purpose of collagen peptides.
In Noway, we use the BodyBalance collagen peptides developed by Gelita Germany. These isolated collagen peptides work to target specific structural roles in the body to help support training and recovery.
Collagen peptides found in Noway Collagen Protein
BodyBalance has been shown to work positively on two main areas in the body, and these are:
- Assist in the reduction in Fat Mass.
- Improve and assist in the Increase of lean body mass.
This makes it a perfect candidate to work into your day around training and as part of your protein macronutrient goals if you are currently training, focusing on your recovery, or just want to get your daily serving of collagen protein in.
Collagen Peptides Found in JOLTLike BodyBalance, JOLT utilizes high-quality collagen peptides from the team at Gelita in a specific blend. Combining specific hydrolyzed collagen peptides designed to target the following areas:
- Collagen components of joint cartilage.
- Collagen components of tendons and ligaments.
In other words, – JOLT is more specific to overall healthy joint, tendon, and cartilage function in the body. An easy 15g serve per day that’s easy to pop into your breakfast smoothie to start the day or protein shake after training.
Can you have both?Yes, the studies referenced in this article are dose dependent studies on the different forms of collagen peptides used. Noway which uses the BodyBalance collagen peptides is a 15g daily serve for optimal absorption and use.
JOLT is a total 15g serve of individual collagen peptides at their required 5g dose serves. It’s easy to fit both in during the day and use them to target both.
Take home messageWhich is better? They have various functions, but if we can help create a mental image for why both products exist as a little information packet… Picture an image of an anatomical illustration of skeletal muscle. You will see the red and white tissue that lies under our skin. Noway targets the red and a little crossover on the white and JOLT targets majority of the white. This way, you get full access to connective tissue and lean muscle mass.
Check out the individual product pages for more info. Have a question? Feel free to reach out on any of our social platforms or via the contact us page on the website, and one of our team will be more than happy to assist.
- Deshmukh, S. N., Dive, A. M., Moharil, R., & Munde, P. (2016). Enigmatic insight into collagen. Journal of oral and maxillofacial pathology : JOMFP, 20(2), 276–283. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-029X.185932
- Specific Collagen Peptides in Combination with Resistance Training Improve Body Composition and Regional Muscle Strength in Premenopausal Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Patrick Jendricke * , Christoph Centner , Denise Zdzieblik et al. Published: 20 April 2019. Nutrients 2019, 11, 892; doi:10.3390/nu11040892.
- Effects of 12 Weeks of Hypertrophy Resistance Exercise Training Combined with Collagen Peptide Supplementation on the Skeletal Muscle Proteome in Recreationally Active Men. Et al. Published: 14 May 2019. Nutrients 2019, 11, 1072; doi:10.3390/nu11051072
- Significant Amounts of Functional Collagen Peptides can 3 be Incorporated in the Diet While Maintaining 4 Indispensable Amino Acid Balance. Cristiana Paul 1,*, Suzane Leser 2 and Steffen Oesser. Nutrients. 2019 May 15;11(5):1079. doi: 10.3390/nu11051079.
- J Sci Food Agric. 2015 Mar 15;95(4):702-7. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6752. Epub 2014 Jun 24. A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomised, Clinical Study on the Effectiveness of Collagen Peptide on Osteoarthritis. Suresh Kumar 1, Fumihito Sugihara, Keiji Suzuki, Naoki Inoue, Sriraam Venkateswarathirukumara
- L. Carpenter, J.B. Peel, M.R. Carpenter, J. Lowndes, T.J. Angelopoulos and J.M. Rippe Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2005;64(Suppl 3):1544. Session: Osteoarthritis – Clinical aspects and treatment June 2005. EFFECTIVENESS OF A COLLAGEN HYDROLYSATE-BASED SUPPLEMENT ON JOINT PAIN, RANGE OF MOTION AND MUSCLE FUNCTION IN INDIVIDUALS WITH MILD OSTEOARTHRITIS OF THE KNEE: A RANDOMIZED CLINICAL TRIAL.
- Bruyère, O., Zegels, B., Leonori, L., Rabenda, V., Janssen, A., Bourges, C., and Reginster, J. 2012. Effect of collagen hydrolysate in articular pain: a 6-month randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. Complement. Ther. Med. 20: 124–130. doi:10.1016/j.ctim.2011.12.007. PMID:22500661.
- 2019 Jun; 11(6): 1249. Published online 2019 May 31. doi: 10.3390/nu11061249 Human Enriched Serum Following Hydrolysed Collagen Absorption Modulates Bone Cell Activity: from Bedside to Bench and Vice Versa. Fabien Wauquier,1,2 Audrey Daneault,1,2 Henri Granel,1,2 Janne Prawitt,3 Véronique Fabien Soulé,4 Juliette Berger,5 Bruno Pereira,6 Jérôme Guicheux,7,8,9 Gael Y. Rochefort,7 Nathalie Meunier,10 Adeline Blot,10 and Yohann Wittrant.