The Glymphatic system is fairly new to science, however, what we are learning about it now is that its role is crucial for our health and aging too! In today’s episode of the ATP project, the team discusses how the Glymphatic system works in the brain, why even just one night of missed sleep can affect it, and how to improve its function over time for healthier aging.
As always, this information is not designed to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any condition and is for information purposes only – please discuss any information in this podcast with your health care professional before making any changes to your current lifestyle.
- Nguyen TT, Ta QTH, Nguyen TKO, Nguyen TTD, Van Giau V. Type 3 Diabetes and Its Role Implications in Alzheimer’s Disease. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2020; 21(9):3165. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21093165
- Toriello M, González-Quintanilla V, Pérez-Pereda S, Fontanillas N, Pascual J. The potential role of the glymphatic system in headache disorders. Pain Med. 2021 Apr 11:pnab137. doi: 10.1093/pm/pnab137. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33839781.
- Silva, M.V.F., Loures, C.d.M.G., Alves, L.C.V. et al. Alzheimer’s disease: risk factors and potentially protective measures. J Biomed Sci 26, 33 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-019-0524-y
- Reeves BC, Karimy JK, Kundishora AJ, Mestre H, Cerci HM, Matouk C, Alper SL, Lundgaard I, Nedergaard M, Kahle KT. Glymphatic System Impairment in Alzheimer’s Disease and Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Trends Mol Med. 2020 Mar;26(3):285-295. doi: 10.1016/j.molmed.2019.11.008. Epub 2020 Jan 18. PMID: 31959516; PMCID: PMC7489754.
- Wu M, Li M, Yuan J, Liang S, Chen Z, Ye M, Ryan PM, Clark C, Tan SC, Rahmani J, Varkaneh HK, Bhagavathula AS. Postmenopausal hormone therapy and Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and Parkinson’s disease: A systematic review and time-response meta-analysis. Pharmacol Res. 2020 May;155:104693. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2020.104693. Epub 2020 Feb 11. PMID: 32057896.
- Bah, T.M., Goodman, J. & Iliff, J.J. Sleep as a Therapeutic Target in the Aging Brain. Neurotherapeutics 16, 554–568 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13311-019-00769-6
- Benveniste H, Heerdt PM, Fontes M, Rothman DL, Volkow ND. Glymphatic System Function in Relation to Anesthesia and Sleep States. Anesth Analg. 2019 Apr;128(4):747-758. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000004069. PMID: 30883420.
- Jessen NA, Munk AS, Lundgaard I, Nedergaard M. The Glymphatic System: A Beginner’s Guide. Neurochem Res. 2015 Dec;40(12):2583-99. doi: 10.1007/s11064-015-1581-6. Epub 2015 May 7. PMID: 25947369; PMCID: PMC4636982.
- β-Amyloid accumulation in the human brain after one night of sleep deprivation
View ORCID ProfileEhsan Shokri-Kojori, Gene-Jack Wang, PNAS April 24, 2018 115 (17) 4483-4488; first published April 9, 2018 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1721694115 Edited by Michael E. Phelps, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, and approved March 13, 2018 (received for review December 14, 2017)