Sustainability of Collagen - Your Protein Footprint
Sustainability is at the forefront of every single decision we make here at ATP Science, with every product we produce and sell, our footprint, as a result, is analysed and taken into account. With that in mind, we wanted to talk about one collaborative aspect that we are proud of, and that is, the sustainability of the collagen we use across our Noway range of products. Here is why…
Collaborating on Quality and Sustainability
The green credentials of Gelita, the collagen experts with over 140 years in the business; was a big tick for the team here when sourcing the highest quality collagen for our products. Their proteins are not only pure, non-allergenic food products. The Quality was the best we had seen, but they won us over with their sustainability approach that’s for sure.
The fact that environmental impact from the collagen industry was a crucial element to them as a company showed genuine accountability. Across the following areas especially:
- Reducing energy consumption thus reducing CO2
- Using sustainable and responsible water sources.
- Avoiding unnecessary waste.
3 key elements we also focus on as the manufacturer and distributor of ATP Science products, and what we work at improving constantly. After all, there is always room to get better!
Collagen Sustainability Reporting – Plant and Production
In one of the most recent reports from Gelita, they broke down the key areas of sustainability they are driven to strive in outside of just producing the highest quality collagen in the industry.
- Inaugurated their production facility to be the most modern and highest quality standard plant in the industry.
- Commissioned new, energy-efficient plant technology across their Sweden, USA, and Germany plants.
- Working to expand spray tower capacities to improve towards the goal of reducing energy consumption and environmental impacts of transportation.
- Aiming to have Gelita location globally set at the highest quality assurance standard of ISO 14001 as well as an energy management system complying with ISO 50001 standards. Two of the highest quality assurance certificates attainable.
- All production facilities, like that of our own here at ATP Science, are ISO 90001, the highest possible quality assurance for the production of products.
Sustainability of Raw Materials
Collagen – while we have now patented the ability for vegan Hydroxyproline to be derived from plants, one of the key component structures in the formation of collagen in the body; collagen is near impossible to secure solely from plants. Thus, collagen is derived from animal products – how these animal products are derived was a major factor in our final decision to partner with Gelita as our collagen supplier.
Gelita works to maintain its sustainability practices in the meat industry also. They are committed and active supporters of the “initiative Tierwohl”, which commits to the wellbeing and higher animal welfare practices of farming and agriculture. Through this initiative, farmers/agriculture, meat industry professionals, and retailers hold a standard for animal-friendly meat production. The collagen peptides used in the Noway range are hydrolysed collagen peptides sourced from Bovine/beef hide that has been ethically sourced from countries such as Brazil, Germany, and Australia as by-products from the meat industry. Reducing animal waste.
Cleaner Waste Water
As we know, one of the biggest global hindrances is access to clean drinking water. An important factor in the hydrolysis and clean manufacturing process of collagen products is water. Without it, nothing can be manufactured. However, once used, the water does not get thrown out as waste.
The process in which this is taken into account involves a flotation step for wastewater degreasing and water purification through aeration during water processing. Their goal is to provide cleaner wastewater, and in some cases, the water discharged from the cleaning facility is often cleaner and fresher than the water taken in the first place.
Stats of Sustainability
Here are some noteworthy stats provided on their sustainability efforts –
- Between 2016 and 2019 Gelita cut down their energy consumption per tonne of product produced by 15.62%.
- Cut down liters of freshwater per kg of product produced by 5.56%
- CO (Carbon Monoxide) was reduced between 2016 and 2019, per tonne of product by 33%.
- Nitrogen oxide emissions were also reduced during these time frames by 23% on KG per Tonne of product.
- CO2 emission reduction, kg per tonne of product reduced by 15.20%
- Waste reduction, kg per tonne produced dropped by 13.54% across this time period.
Where to from here?
ATP Science, will continue this long-lasting relationship and work alongside Gelita to support our Noway Range of products that include:
- Noway Bars.
- Noway Protein.
- Noway Juicy.
- Noway Hot Chocolate.
- Noway Desserts
- + More to come!
We will also provide updates on the new facility that is in the very final stages of completion, our plans towards better sustainability from raw material sourcing to the product reaching shelves.