Choc Orange Gut Lovin' Muffins
Recipe by Laura Saunders www.alifeworthnourishing.com
Makes 12 muffins (each muffin contains 1 serve of gut right + 1 extra serve with the icing)
2 cups pumpkin seeds/300g, ground into a fine powder
¾ cup raw organic cacao powder sifted
1/2 cup coconut yogurt/coconut cream
½ cup tapioca flour
⅓ cup gut right (or 12 scoops)
¼ cup cacao nibs
1 heaped tbsp psyllium husk
1 tsp gluten-free bicarb soda
1 heaped tsp organic ground ginger
1 heaped tsp organic ground cinnamon
Pinch sea salt
2 cups steamed jap pumpkin
¼ cup of filtered water
¼ cup organic unsweetened almond milk
½ cup organic unrefined coconut oil, melted
⅓ cup local raw honey
2 oranges, zested
Icing:1/2 cup hulled tahini
⅓ cup Gut Right (or 12 scoops) – optional for a double serve!
1/4 cup raw organic cacao powder
¼ cup filtered water (room temperature)
Juice 1 orange
2 tbsp local raw honey
1 tbsp unrefined organic coconut oil, melted
2 heaped tbsp cacao nibs (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced and line a 12 holder muffin tin with baking paper or muffin cups.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs then adding the remaining wet ingredients using a wooden spoon to combine..
- Once combined, carefully add the dry ingredients and gently fold them into the wet mixture with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture into your prepared muffin cups and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once cooked, cool the muffin pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes with a clean tea towel over the top. While you are waiting for the muffins to cool you can begin to prepare the icing.
- To make the icing simply add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender. Blend for 15 - 30 seconds, or until combined.
- Now take the muffins out of the muffin tray and place them on a cooling rack for another 10 minutes, again with the clean tea towel on top. Once cooled, simply place 1 tsp of icing on top of each muffin, using a butter knife to smooth over. Garnish with sprinkle with remaining cacao nibs over the top.